Wednesday, 3 October 2012

Side Tables for the Family Room

A couple of weeks ago, and for the first time since having baby number 2 four months ago, we hit the shops for a little eye candy session. Our destination was a handful of vintage furniture stores in Fitzroy.

First stop was Angelucci 20th Century to check out their slimline sofas (not that we have budget any time soon, but I wanted to work out sizing for our room and get a cost estimate so we at least have a savings target.  There's so much in this store I'd love to purchase, but that's half the fun isn't it - collecting items over a period of time?

The Design Files recently posted an article showing owner Dean Angelucci and designer Lisa Gorman's home - more eye candy!  If I owned a store such as his, I'd find it incredibly hard not to clutter up my house with finds from every new shipment of furniture!  No idea how he keeps it so minimalist!

Next stop was the Modern Times Pop Up Shop a few blocks down. I've been eyeing off some teak nesting tables on their website for some time now and they still had them for sale, and reduced by $150 and so I simply couldn't leave the shop without them!

Our new old tables in their new home

I also have a couple of mini projects on the go. I'm painting a laminated filing drawer cabinet to go in the study.  It's very functional being two large lateral filing drawers, but it's currently an orange beech laminate which I'm not fond of and so I figured I'd paint it white.  So far I've primed it with a laminate primer and plan to give it a topcoat or two this coming weekend.

The other project is to frame some Marimekko fabric to hang as art in the Dining Room.  Until we get the funds to purchase a piece, a cheap and colourful option is to hang some fabric.  I purchased it online last week and now just have to get to an art supplies store to buy some spacer bars to mount it.  The electrician will be here to hang the pendant in the Dining room tomorrow so I'll post pics later this week.  In the meantime, here's a mockup of what it will (vaguely!) look like:




1 comment:

  1. It looks like things are coming together nicely, Nat. It's true, the collecting is all part of the fun!

    M
    x

    ReplyDelete